John Christopherson NICHOLSON
- Born: 16 Jul 1865, Groveley, Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Birth certificate : BOO4213
West Plane Creek land was taken over by J C in 1882 as his father was transfered to Bundaberg as Clerk of Petty Sessions.
Several crops were grown on the property [in Mackay] until in 1887, "JC" Planted some sugar cane in an experimental crop.
This is believed to have been one of the first crops of sugar grown in the Sarina area.
J C Nicholson delivered and sold meat at threepence per pound to the men employed on the construction of the Plane Creek Mill [sugar]
He also ran a three ton cutter , with a mail contract to Homebush [ near Mackay] and back to Sarina
Plane Creek Mill was formed in 1895 after a meeting at Edmund Athertons House, and JC became one of the Directors. He was to remain as a Director from 1895 to1948 with One year as Chairman in 1912.
"JC" was a foundation member of the Horse and Jockey Club , Sarina Rifle Club, Sarina Bowls Club, Patron of Mackay and District Bowls Association . Sarina 's first Hospital Committee, Sarina Ambulance and Fire Brigade . In 1900, he was the Chairman of the West Plane Provisional School.
Prior to the formation of the Sarina Council, he was on the Pioneer Divisional Council and on the Formation of the Sarina Council, he was Councillor from 1912 to1946 with a break of 6 years. He was chairman from 1914-1917 and 1921-1936.
Retiring from active community service , when in his eighties , he passed away at "Groveley" West Plane Creek in 1961 , aged 96 years.
John married Ada Dilke BENTLEY.